The Complete Smith Machine: Exercises & Workouts
By Craig Cecil
Paperback and ebook formats, 408 pages
The Complete Smith Machine: Exercises & Workouts is the most comprehensive resource ever written about the most popular exercise machine in the world. Whether you use a Smith Machine at home, the gym, or are thinking about buying one, this book contains all the information you'll need to use and master this versatile piece of weight training equipment.
In this book, you will learn:
- More than 85 illustrated Smith Machine exercises, covering all muscles in your body
- How to use the Smith Machine to increase strength, build muscle, improve your overall physique, and help to recover from injuries
- Dozens of workouts, from beginner to advanced trainers, for increasing strength, building muscle, circuit training, and improving stubborn areas of your body
- Advanced techniques you can perform on the Smith Machine to take your body to the next level
Written for beginners to weight training all the way to competitive powerlifters and bodybuilders, this book contains the information you need to either get you started or get you past those plateaus and nagging injuries and on to a more stronger, muscular you.
Table of Contents
- The Soul of a New Machine 1
- Meet the Smith Machine 5
- Advantages, Disadvantages & Limitations 9
- How to Use the Smith Machine Effectively 15
- Muscles and Their Function: What You Need to Know 23
- The Exercises 25
- Abdominals 27
- Back 43
- Biceps 69
- Calves 81
- Chest 95
- Forearms 109
- Glutes 117
- Hamstrings 121
- Quadriceps (Thighs) 131
- Shoulders 165
- Trapezius 187
- Triceps 205
- The Workouts 221
- The Basics of Weight Training 223
- Strength Training 229
- Bodybuilding 247
- Circuit Training 299
- Cardiovascular Training 313
- Weak Point Training 315
- Injury Rehab & Prevention 329
- Intensity Techniques 341
- Beyond the Smith Machine 349
About the Author
Craig Cecil has been involved in sports and the science of exercise since his days of high school athletics in baseball, through his collegiate career in NCAA Track & Field, to his devotion to weightlifting and bodybuilding pursuits over the past 20 years. During that time, Craig has trained with professional athletes, as well as multitudes of dedicated, ordinary individuals just wanting to build lean, muscular body weight. Craig is a member of the National Strength & Conditioning Association and holds an MBA from Loyola University of Maryland.
Even Expert Weightlifters Will Find Something New In This...
"Mr Cecil offers an abundance of tortuous workouts for the novice and expert alike. Being a nurse I appreciate his understanding of anatomy and physiology and suggestions for ways to simplify the exercise or make it more difficult...I have used these workouts in my own home gym and can attest to the soreness that I feel the next day, in a good way....success!!!"
Great information - a must read
"Craig Cecil's Smith Machine [book] is a great resource for anyone interested in good, honest information about how to get in shape and stay that way. I never knew the Smith machine was so versatile. Craig not only describes the exercises, he provides the biology for why it's important. He also offers variations to enhance progress, and caveats to avoid injuries. No hype or hidden gimmicks. Just a great tool for gym rats and novices, alike."